Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pecan Caramel Rolls

Today I made these:Ain't they purdy?

I used the sweet dough recipe from Danielle's Tangerine Rolls (found here). I made a half-batch and used whole wheat flour and upped the cinnamon.

Other ingredients:
brown sugar
butter
half n half (or cream or milk, I guess)
pecans
vanilla
cinnamon
nutmeg

Of course for caramel rolls you need caramel! I wanted to get that caramel-covered effect on top of the rolls. This step was dangerous because I now know how easy it is to make delicious caramel sauce in just a few minutes. This was about 2 tablespoons butter + 4ish tablespoons brown sugar (maybe more) + salt + a little vanilla and then a bit of half and half to thin it out.
I'm not gonna lie, I cut up an apple just so I had an excuse to eat some of this delicious, delicious caramel.

I was worried about the caramel sticking to the pan, so I devised this elaborate method for prepping my little 6-inch cake pan (waxed paper circle and strips along the sides - I coated the pan with butter first for good measure).

After rolling the dough out, I sprinkled it with about 3 tablespoons of butter in small cubes, a hefty amount of brown sugar (1/4-1/3 cup or so?), about the same amount of pecans, maybe at tablespoon of cinnamon and a little nutmeg. It was super easy to roll up and slice (a knife worked fine).

I covered the bottom of the pan with pecans and poured the caramel sauce over top. Then I stuck the rolls on top and let them rise again (they got big!). Then I cooked them for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees. I was glad that the pan liner extended beyond the pan because the rolls got quite tall.They were easy to flip out of the pan and clean up was simple - just peel off the paper!

1 comment:

Bootstrap Farm said...

Hey thanks for checking out our brade new blog! I thought you were reasonable in the days of honors class; frustrating, but reasonable. Seems like you've got a good thing going on now. You just made the pecan cake, have you ever used hickory nuts? They have a great flavor. Chelsea and I might go collect some and try to sell them soon, what do you thing?