Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pesto Perfect!

At the farm mar this weekend I got a big bunch of basil (for the party last night). I had so much leftover that I decided (to Arlo's delight) to make some pesto. I just kind of winged (wung?) it.

First I toasted some sliced almonds (handful - 1/2 cup?) and then blended them in the food processor with 3 or 4 cloves of garlic. I then added a big handful (3/4 cup?) of leftover pecorino cheese and blended it, adding olive oil to help in the process. Afterword it looked like this:
Then I added several handfuls of basil (maybe 3 packed cups?), some lemon juice (from about 1/3 of a lemon) and more olive oil.This is what it looked like when it was done. Not the prettiest thing but yummy!I had oatmeal for dinner but Arlo enjoyed the pesto with some spinach/Jerusalem artichoke pasta.

2 comments:

dz said...

yum. did you like almondy pesto rather than pinenutty? i've made pesto with walnuts before, and while walnuts are usually on the bottom of my list, it turned out really well. pinenuts are pricey, mang.

Homemade Hotty said...

I liked the almonds. They were rich tasting, not oily and I had them in my cupboard :).